The Best Laundry Detergents: Researched and Reviewed
There’s nothing as nice as the smell of freshly washed clothes, is there? Unfortunately, your laundry detergent could be having a harmful effect both on your family and on the environment.
That fresh laundry smell can come at a high cost. Laundry fragrances are designed to stay in your clothes, meaning that your skin and lungs are constantly exposed to them. It’s the same with other toxic ingredients used in laundry detergents. They wouldn’t be so bad if it was just a one time exposure, but some of these ingredients are designed to stick to your clothing, which means that you can’t get away from them.
Manufacturers aren’t required to list the specific ingredients of their products, because they are deemed to be commercially sensitive. This makes it even harder for consumers who are trying to make informed decisions about the products they use for their families.
So what’s the answer?
Do you choose a ‘sensitive’ formula? Unfortunately, that’s no guarantee of a non toxic laundry detergent. You can’t trust the big name brands with their claims of ‘sensitive’ formulas. You have to get to the bottom of each and every ingredient.
And it’s not just about our health. Laundry products end up in our waterways, so we have to think of the environment when we’re choosing products, too. So many ingredients are toxic to aquatic life, not biodegradable (so they never break down and stay in our waterways and oceans), or cause algal buildup which kills fish and plants.
So how do you wade through the greenwash and misinformation to find the best laundry products for your family? The ones which are truly non toxic for you and the environment?
Well, that’s where I come in. I’ve spent months finding all the ingredients in laundry detergents, researching them and reviewing them so that I can recommend nothing but the best to you.
There are heaps of laundry detergents available in Australia. I’ve researched 50 different products from 37 different brands! I didn’t do all of the mainstream ones, because I know that they’re going to be mostly the same. But I did try to do as many ‘natural’ and ‘sensitive’ ones as possible. The list of laundry products that I’ve reviewed are all in alphabetical order, below.
Laundry Detergents Rated and Reviewed:
Here’s the list of laundry detergents that I researched and reviewed. Only a few of these are good, so download the ebook to find out which ones I actually recommend!
- Abode Front Loader Laundry Powder – Lavender & Mint
- Abode Natural Laundry Liquid Sensitive
- Aware Eco Choice Laundry Powder
- Aware Sensitive Laundry Powder
- Baby Organics Laundry Liquid – Lavendula
- Biozet Attack Front and Top Laundry Powder
- Bosisto’s Sensitive Laundry Liquid
- Bosisto’s Sensitive Laundry Powder
- Bygum Eucalyptus Laundry Powder
- Charlie’s Soap Laundry Liquid
- Charlie’s Soap Laundry Powder
- Cold Power Regular Front & Top Laundry Powder
- Dirt Good Laundry Liquid
- Dominant Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Earth Choice Laundry Liquid
- Earth Choice Ultra Concentrate Laundry Powder – Top & Front Loader
- Earthwise Laundry Liquid – Fragrance Free
- Earthwise Laundry Powder – Orange & Eucalyptus
- Ecostore Laundry Liquid – Geranium & Orange
- Ecostore Top & Front Loader Laundry Powder – Lemon
- Ecologic Laundry Liquid – Citrus Fusion
- Ecover Laundry Liquid
- Ecover Non-Bio Washing Powder Zero
- EnviroClean Front Load Laundry Liquid
- Euca Laundry Powder
- Green Potions No 13 Laundry Powder
- Herbon Laundry Liquid
- Herbon Laundry Washing Powder
- KinKin Naturals Laundry Liquid – Eucalypt & Lemon Myrtle
- Little Innoscents Laundry Liquid – Cherry Coconut
- Lux Pure Soap Flakes
- Method 4x Concentrated Laundry Detergent – Ginger Mango
- Omo Sensitive Front & Top Loader Laundry Detergent Washing Powder
- Orange Power 3x Laundry Liquid
- Orange Power 3x Laundry Powder
- Organic Clean Laundry Liquid
- Planet Luxe Laundry Liquid
- Purity Sensitive Laundry Liquid
- Radiant Laundry Powder Sensitive
- Resparkle Baby Laundry Powder & Soaker
- Resparkle Laundry Powder
- Rockin Green Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent Packs Free & Clear
- Seventh Generation Laundry Liquid 2X Concentrate Blue Eucalyptus and Lavender
- Simply Clean Lemon Myrtle Laundry Powder
- Sonett NO1010 Laundry Powder
- Surf Washing Powder Sunshine Lemons & Orange Blossom 2in1
- That Red House Organic Soapberries
- Trinature Alpha Plus Laundry Liquid
- Trinature Alpha Plus Laundry Powder
Read the free ebook now!
All this and more is in my brand new ebook: The Best Laundry Detergents Cheat Sheet.
It’s right here, and it’s free, so what are you waiting for? Download your free ebook now and find out which ones I recommend! My Best Laundry Detergents Cheat Sheet will help you sort out the eco from the eeek-o!
If for some reason you don’t want to read the ebook, but you still want the best laundry detergents for your family, jump right on over to Hello Charlie. We stock only the best products that I’ve researched and reviewed, so you can be sure that if it’s on Hello Charlie, it’s safe and non toxic.
Further reading on non toxic Laundry Detergents
We’ve got lots of other articles that you might find useful, too:
- Shopping Guide: What To Look For In Natural Laundry Powders
- Problems with Optical Brighteners
- Laundry Powder Smackdown – Eco vs Mainstream
- Detox Your Home: The Laundry
- Ecover Natural Cleaning Products: The Eco Friendly Way To Clean
- Why You Shouldn’t Clean with Bleach
- How To Wash Soiled Baby Clothes
Are we missing any?
It’s impossible to review every single brand of laundry detergents available in Australia, but I did try to include all the ‘natural’ ones. If I’ve missed your favourite, let me know! Drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the laundry detergent and a link to the ingredients, or pop it into the comments below.
I can’t promise that I’ll get to it straight away, but I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Like this? Why not Pin it?