Acne isn’t just for teenagers. While teenagers are most likely to get acne, it can be a problem for adults too. Lots of things can increase your risk for acne, like genetics, stress, or hormonal changes. Women are at a higher risk of hormonal acne during pregnancy. Using birth control, and having your period can also affect your skin. Women also have a low level of hormones called androgens, which circulate in their blood and can make adult acne worse.
What Causes Acne?
Your skin is full of tiny oil glands called sebaceous glands. These glands secrete an oily substance called sebum to lubricate your hair and skin. Certain factors can cause these glands to produce excess sebum and become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. This creates an environment that’s ideal for bacteria to grow, leading to infection and inflammation. This inflammation is what is known as acne, pimples, zits or break outs. Acne most often appears on your face, neck, chest, back and shoulders because these are the areas where your skin has the most sebaceous glands.
What Doesn’t Cause Acne?
There have been many myths spreading around about what causes acne, including greasy foods and chocolate. No specific foods have ever been found to cause or increase acne. Dirty skin doesn’t cause acne, although exposure to oily lotions or greasy work areas, like kitchens, can make acne worse. In fact, cleaning your skin too harshly, by over scrubbing or using harsh chemicals, can inflame your skin and make acne worse.
We like the Aknedoron range from Weleda. It’s new in Australia, but it’s a bestseller in the UK, and we can see why!
How Does the Aknedoron Range Help with Acne?
Weleda’s Aknedoron range helps to clear skin and prevent acne by gently washing away oil and bacteria without irritating or drying your skin.
- Non irritating: Weleda Aknedoron products contain no harsh chemicals or soaps, which can irritate your skin and leave you at risk of more acne.
- Protecting: Because they’re non drying, Weleda Aknedoron products won’t strip away your skin’s natural oils, which protect it from the environment.
- Anti Inflammatory: It’s made with natural essential oils that help to soothe your skin and calm inflammation.
- Stress Reducing: Relaxing essential oils help to calm your nerves, so you’re less stressed, which can also help prevent acne.
- Antibacterial: They contain natural antibacterial ingredients, like sage and lavender, which help fight bacteria that can cause acne.
Start your acne-fighting routine with this all natural cleansing lotion. It gently cleans dirt, oil and makeup from your skin without irritating or inflaming acne. It’s made with calendula and chamomile to help soothe your skin, and sunflower and olive oil based cleansers that clean without drying.
Follow up the cleansing lotion with the Aknedoron purifying lotion. It works like a toner to help fight bacteria and protect your skin from everyday elements. It contains witch hazel, a mild, natural astringent, as well as sage, thyme and lavender to balance and harmonise your skin on both your face and your body.
You can shop Weleda’s Aknedoron range right here at Hello Charlie.