If you’re an environmentally conscious person (and especially if you have kids), you’re probably on the lookout for good natural cleaning products. Children can be the highlight of your life, but there’s no denying that they’re messy. You want products that do the job, but don’t contain anything that might harm your children, your own health, or the environment.
How Kin Kin Naturals began
Kin Kin Naturals was founded by Felix and Sandy van der Kooij, who live in the tiny town of Kin Kin in South East Queensland. Felix used to work as a PhD-qualified formulator for the laundry detergent giant OMO, but the gorgeous unspoiled environment of Kin Kin inspired him to make a green change in his lifestyle. He decided to dedicate his life to making natural cleaning products that work just as well as the big ‘nasties’.
The business started to take off in 2008, and now the biggest problem they have is keeping up with demand.
What’s so good about Kin Kin Naturals?
Kin Kin naturals contains no ingredients that might be harmful to human health or the environment – no sulphates, phosphates, palm oil or alcohol ethoxylate. Instead, they make their natural cleaning products with simple ingredients like coconut soap, bicarbonate of soda, oxygenated soda, and citrate. They use essential oils for fragrance.
Felix keeps his formulations low in sodium salts as well, substituting eco-friendly potassium instead (which is actually good for the soil). All their products are easily biodegradable, even in low-oxygen environments, making them safe for septic and grey water systems.
This company takes the concept of sustainability to heart. They source their ingredients locally as much as possible, and their highly concentrated products use the minimum of resources for packaging and shipping. Kin Kin naturals likes to keep their carbon footprint small – their factory is only 200 metres away from their home.
Kin Kin Naturals – Natural Cleaning Products
They keep their product range small so they don’t get overwhelmed. Felix likes to tweak the formulations until they’re just right, with the correct balance of ingredients.
Kin Kin Naturals makes both liquid and powder dishwashing soaps. The Eco dishwashing liquid was tested and recommended by CHOICE. The formulation is so pure and gentle that Kin Kin Naturals has received feedback from people with sensitive skin that they no longer need to use gloves when washing dishes.
- Liquid detergents – Lime & Eucalypt; and Tangerine and Mandarin (coming soon).
- Contains coconut-based surfactants, rain water, potassium citrate, glycerine and essential oils
- Only a few drops will take care of an entire load of dishes
- Dishwasher powder – Lemon Myrtle & Lime
- Contains coconut and sugar based surfactants, cleansing minerals, enzymes and essential oils
- Use 15 ml (one half dispenser) for a full load of dishes
This range has laundry liquids for regular and delicate clothes, as well as a soaking powder to remove stubborn stains. They’re all suitable for both front and top loading machines.
- Regular laundry liquid – Eucalypt & Lemon Myrtle; Lavender & Ylang Ylang
- Contains coconut-based surfactants, rain water, potassium coconut soap, potassium citrate, enzymes and essential oils
- You only need 35 ml (a little over 2 tablespoons) for a full load
- Wool and delicates liquid – Eucalypt & Rose Geranium
- Contains coconut-based surfactants, rain water, potassium citrate and essential oils
- Use 20 ml (a little over 1 tablespoon) per load and 5–10 ml (1/3–2/3 tablespoon) per tub for hand washing
- Laundry soaker & stain remover – Lime & Eucalypt
- Contains sodium carbonate (washing soda), sodium percarbonate (oxygen releasing soda), sodium citrate (water softener based on citrus), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), anionic surfactant and essential oils
- Use 2 tablespoons per load or bucket full of water for soaking
Kin Kin natural cleaning products really are that concentrated (yes you can wash a whole load of laundry with only 1 tablespoon of laundry soap). That tiny bit will leave your clothes smelling amazing – fresh and clean, with no strong chemical fragrances. The dishwashing soaps cut grease without drying or irritating your hands (and also smell wonderful).
You can browse the whole range here at Hello Charlie.
Like this? Why not Pin it?
Main image credit: Kin Kin Naturals